Monday 17 December 2012

Apalachicola

A very short run of only 2 hours brought us from White City to Apalachicola this morning.  We have told many, many times not to miss this lovely little town, as it is as indicative of 'old Florida' as one can find.

Apalachicola may have started out as a sponge trading town, but its claim to fame now is oysters.  And so our first order of business was lunch.  As we headed out, we ran into the folks from Sea Hunt again, so it became a party of six.  They had selected Up the Creek, which has an elevated dining room and balconies overlooking the river, and of course oysters six different ways.



Michael, of course, chose raw, and was so surprised at the tenderness and taste that he began to urge me to try one.  I resisted in New Orleans, and I resisted in Mobile, (although I did have some grilled), but I relented under the pressure, if just to make him stop offering.  I took a small one, and warned that if I didn't like it I would spit it out.  That was fine with Michael, as long as I spit it back into the shell so as not to waste it!!


I lifted the shell, examined the oyster, sniffed the oyster, and then slurped the oyster into my mouth.  Much to my surprise, and I think to Michael's, I liked it.  It tasted much like mussels, and was not at all rubbery.  So I had another, much to Michael's chagrin.


After lunch, we wandered off to explore the town.  There's a lot of history here, and some lovely old buildings.  We're going to stay for a few days while we wait for the weather to settle down enough for a safe crossing of the gulf.

Look carefully at the sign...deliberate pun, or honest mistake?








Today's miles:  22.1

Total miles:  892

No comments:

Post a Comment