Monday 24 December 2012

After effects

The alarm went off at 6 this morning, so that we could assess the weather and make a decision on whether to travel or stay here another night.  All indications were for a windy, bumpy day so we decided to stay put.  Having made that decision, I went back to bed - to relax and read a bit, if not to sleep.  At least that was what I said.  Here are the after effects of getting up at 4 am yesterday, and 6 today.....


Yes -my glasses are still on, and my Kindle has fallen over, and the light is still on, and I am fast asleep. Oh well.

After a late start, we went for a walk around the town.  It's a sleepy little place, really devoted to fishing.  In fact, I saw a T shirt in one store that said "Steinhatchee...a drinking town with a fishing problem".  There are houses, cottages and cabins for rent, boats for hire, guides to take you to the best places, and even fish cleaning services available.



Many of the buildings, especially those close to the water, are built on stilts to accommodate any storm effects.


There are a ton of birds - gulls and terns, of course, cormorants, and pelicans (or hooligans  as Michael calls them), and even a bunch of black capped night herons that make a lot of noise when we disturb them on the dock with our coming and going.







I even managed to catch this pair of cardinals.


Tomorrow is a travel day, so we'll be up early again.  This Christmas eve will be a very quiet one - and tomorrow will be one of the most unusual Christmas days I've had in a long, long time!!


No comments:

Post a Comment